happyreader

(Please note, all comments from older posts have been sadly wiped, due to the transfer of this blog from a former TypePad account.)

Subscribe
Add to Technorati Favourites
Add to del.icio.us
Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Year of the Dog: Pages 121-134 (Chapters 27 to the end of the book!)

Posted by Lara Parent



When Pacy says she was rich at the end of chapter 26, she was not just talking about the $400.00 prize, the money, the moolah. What did she REALLY mean, when she says she was "rich".

In chapter 27, Pacy's mom gives her a "China doll". Why wasn't it the "china doll" that Pacy wanted? What did Pacy want? What did the mom THINK Pacy meant?

In chapter 28, after their mom tells her haircut story, Lissy says to her on page 130, "That's not the kind of different I mean." What is Lissy talking about? What is she worried about. Be specific.

Write a short seed story about a time that YOU cut your OWN hair (if you amazingly never did this, write about a time a sister, brother, or friend cut their hair). Use a simile and be DESCRIPTIVE!

Here is my story:

Every year, from the time I was in 1st to 4th grade, I always thought it was cool to give myself a nice little haircut. Now, was I a barber or hair stylist? No! I was simply a curious kid who always could find her mother's hiding place for the scissors!
Yes, hiding place. You heard me correctly. You see my mom was not very happy with my haircutting abilities, nor was she particularly pleased that I ALWAYS managed to cut my hair the night before, or morning that my school picture was to be taken.
My parents have a whole collection of photos from these years of me looking like a science experiment gone wrong. Let me share a few snapshots with you:
1st grade picture: I was wearing a beautiful red dress, but I had made the unfortunate choice of running into the bathroom, picking up a pair of scissors and....cutting bangs! Yes, bangs, folks. The problem wasn't my mom almost passing out when she saw a giant clump of hair on the floor, or that I was already missing a couple of teeth, the problem was that I had cut a 2 inch section of hair into bangs that were angled like the bumpy VanRaalte Farm sledding hill. Sadly, it was too late to fix my hair before "picture time", so I ended up with a mom in tears, and what would be the beginning of a series of dorky school photos. My mom refers to these years as "The Disaster Years".
So along comes 2nd grade, and a few DIY (Do-it-yourself) haircuts in between. The night before my 2nd grade school pictures, I had that uncontrollable urge--once again--to....cut my hair! Fortunately, I had had more practice. Practice makes perfect, so they say, so I was sure this 2nd grade haircut would be PERFECT for my school pictures. Well, as I am sure you can imagine, that was not the case. This time, I not only added a few more crooked bangs, but I decided to go shorter, much shorter.
My mom was so happy my bangs had grown back and my hair now reached the middle of my back. Little did she predict that a few snips would change all of that. After brushing my teeth, I pulled out those scissors and wham, bam, chop! I had hair as short as a ruler and bangs as straight as the edge of a pie crust. My mom fainted and tried to hide the scissors every year from then on. Sadly, it never worked.

Read chapter 29 and smile.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think she meant that she could get rich by making and publishing
books.

Anonymous said...

I think the same thing as Elijah too.I remember when I won my award for the essay contest.

Anonymous said...

snow fell from the sky like clumps of white-rice the holiday season was here. Simlie.

Anonymous said...

I think she was rich because she has a house a family. She is healthy and very kind, and she knows that her family loves very much. I think the doll she wants is a special doll that was made in China, and she really wanted it to have it to look at.

Anonymous said...

The mom thought she meant she wanted a Chinese doll, but she wanted a china doll with a clay head.

Anonymous said...

I think she meant that she was rich in two ways. One is that she was rich because she got $400. The other reason is that when she gets older, she can make a lot of money making books.

Anonymous said...

I think she meant that she was rich in two ways. One is that she was rich because she got $400. The other reason is that when she gets older, she can make a lot of money making books.

Anonymous said...

What I think Pacy wanted was a pioneer doll made out of china and the mom thought she said a Chinese doll.

Anonymous said...

the school inspector looks really mean.

Anonymous said...

I think what Pacy met by she was rich was because she finally found her talent. And she probally thought she was rich by that.

Bobby

Anonymous said...

My little brother and I hate our haircuts. My dad gives them to us, but we sill hate it because my dad takes to long. Plus, he cuts our hair short when he says it won't be to short. So whenever my dad gives us a hair cut I hate it

Anonymous said...

I thought Pacy wanted the one that her mom bought her. I think it might have hurt her moms feeling.

Anonymous said...

I think the same thing as Elijah. I remember when I wrote my best story. It was 7 pages long! That`s pretty long for a 9 year old![and 10 year old! I finished it this year but started it last year.]

Anonymous said...

one time at my grandmas house in her office my sister took out the scissors and cut my hair when my found out she took away my sisters scissors for 2 years.

the end

Anonymous said...

When Pacy says she wants a china doll her mom thinks that she wants a Chinese doll. The difference is that a china doll is a doll with a glass head, and a Chinese doll is a doll like a Chinese person.

Anonymous said...

Gabe, I think you really got the double meaning of "rich"! Nice job!
Yes, she had money and may have a published book later, but more importantly she is "rich" by having a family she loves very much and having her health!!

Anonymous said...

The mom thought Pacy wanted a chinese doll but Pacy wanted a china doll with a clay head.

Anonymous said...

Jack, Sion, and Elijah, good job, you understood the confusion about the "China" doll!

Anonymous said...

The different hair due that Lissy wanted I think is like an American girl not the same every year.

Anonymous said...

In chapter 26 about rich I think Pacy ment rich and sweet and her family was a healthy and good shelter and good food

Anonymous said...

the double meaning of rich is that you have a nice house and a happy & loving family.

Anonymous said...

A haircut story that I have is not about me it"s about my baby sister.The time she was looking at a magazine that had a lot of girls with natural beautiful hair so my baby sister got the scissers and started cutting her hair.After about 20 minutes she got out of the bathroom and said 'Do you like my new hair due
when we looked she had a bald spot and we starting laughing.

Anonymous said...

the story i am going to talk about is the hair cut one this is the time i got my first hair cut my mom said.Gabriel get ready for your hair first cut hair cut i said will it be bad she said "no" in a weird way i said o.k. but i got a little cut on my neck i said ouch she said it don't hurt that bad are you going to do it again she said no she got to my neck again i started to tickle me my mom said stay still i stayed still as a stick laying on the grass she was buy my ear and i did not think i will get hurt now she said i was done but when i looked in the mirror i had a good looking hair that was my first hair cut.

Anonymous said...

I think when it said she was rich she meant she was happy what she has and a roof to sleep under.

Anonymous said...

one afternoon my little brother was getting his hear cut as my dad was cutting his hear Zeek was just a little worried that my dad might cut
him but to his surprise he actually
cut off a little more hear than Zeek wanted it looked like a half bold and half afro head so dad cut off the other half and it actually looked good.

Anonymous said...

my other story is when i got a number 9 on my head for 10 dollars i was at a pool hall when my brother was playing pool my other brother got a 8 on his head too when i got home my mom let us stay home because we had that numbers on are head so she shaved all are hair off and i was"BALD" i did not want to go to school but i did and i was very mad.

Anonymous said...

1 time my mom got me a crazy haircut my mom thought it would look cool but i thought i looked like a baffoon. My hair was sticking up like a spinosaurus did it! It was died half blue and half red it was crazy and i told my mom to take it off and she did......HALFWAY! The rest of the paint would not come off so i had to go to school looking like a babboon with a half colored face on my head! it wasn`t really paint though it was the stuff you die your hair with! so it didn`t come off till a week later! My mom got me something to make up for it. I said it better be big. IT WAS! I got to go to my grandpa and grandma berryhills house on a canoe trip for the week off school she owed me! I thanked her and got in the canoe. It was awesome! i got to have lunch a soda and the best part of course dessert![i had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich,dr. pepper and 2 chocolate bars!] It was awesome when we got home i played basketball then went to bed. In the morning i woke up........without crazy hair!






THE END!

Anonymous said...

My brother and I HATE our long chestnut hair cut. Our dad cuts it too short which everyone hates and it makes my chestnut hair turn odd looking.The roaring buzzing noise makes me feel deaf.My brother screams when my dad gives him a buzz cut and he almost starts crying.When he does cry its like his tears will turn into a huge puddle filled with tears.All my friends think its as bad as if my face has gotten rolled over by a mad evil truck driver. But teachers and my parents friends like it because my dad did it or its just to make me feel better. I only like trims not buzz cuts but my dad won't listen.

Anonymous said...

i think that she means by a china doll she wants a certain kind of doll. but her mom thought she ment a cineise doll.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs.Parent!!!!

Anonymous said...

Im still waiting for your message
Mrs.Parent